Thursday, October 24, 2013

In-Powered Guest Blog by Luis
Ms. Cash’s YES Prep Yoga Class

My experience with yoga all started with me not being able to find a class that would provide a gym credit and fit my schedule. So I looked at the possible class I could take during my 6th period. And there it was...yoga

I thought about it for a while. What if I do take yoga? Would people laugh at me? Would they think I’m weird or something along the nature of that?  

I pondered it over for a day and decided to try it out. If I didn’t enjoy then I would just look for another class to be in. So I tried it for a few days and I enjoyed it. It was something I had never tried before nor did I ever think that I would try it. 

The whole philosophy of yoga just induced me more. It was an oasis of calmness from my everyday routine. It’s a good thing providing this class to kids in school. All day we carry baggage that burdens us. And in yoga we get to release it. We get the opportunity to find that equilibrium that we once lost. 

In yoga I can actually feel the limitations that my body puts on me. And I like that. I like being able to feel my boundaries, so then I can overcome it at some point. Mentally it has opened me up even more. Deeper thoughts flow, understanding and compassion compose more of my thoughts. 

I have even reached the point unconscious consciousness. The point of when one is aware that they are unconsciously awake, and it’s a profound state of being. 

I even enjoy the mats. They feel like small vessels of blissfulness. It’s like having your own space to be free. As a senior in high school I would have never fathomed the thought of joining yoga, but I’m glad that I did. Now I know that there is more to it than just stretching and meditating. It’s about change and transformation for the better of one’s self. It is something that should be shared with the world. And I do commit to be a part of this movement.    

2 comments: